Thursday, September 01, 2005

Secret Pal pulls through and eating local is over

Yeah Secret Pal! I have to admit I was a teensy bit worried, but I’m glad that you really exist! You’ve given me hope in the unknown and overall a positive secret pal experience. Thank you so much!

As you may have guessed, I received a package in the mail from my secret pal today. That’s right. I am liked. It involved Manos Del Uruguay yarn, bath mitts, and other luscious bath products, along with a nice note. Thank you secret pal, whoever you are.



Not only does today mark the end of the secret pal 5, but also the end of eat local month.
This challenge was harder for me than I expected, and I realized some of my eating habits (which involve eating foods easy to prepare in my microwave and often eating at work). I am excited to take the challenge again when I am more stable and have a kitchen and fridge to call my own so that I may actually be successful (although I’ll be living in Washington, so it will have new challenges). It was great feeling that I was making a difference, and I’m definitely going to try to keep some of my new habits up, like buying food from the local weekly street fair and the nearby fruit stand. I cut back on my gorgonzola cheese intake and am drooling for that, and I haven't had any Greek yogurt all month! I'm going to Trader Joe's today to buy some (I'll probably eat less though overall... maybe once a month). I had already been aware of buying local, but now I am more committed to it, especially when I’m making my own food instead of eating the majority of my meals at the resort kitchen where I work (I don’t work in the kitchen, but you understand). Here’s to next August when I can do it even better!

No comments: