Sunday, December 03, 2006

SSK v. K2togTBL

I learned to knit when hubbie and I were still dating. I spent the summer doing an internship with the county parks and rec. department near my hometown. This meant I had a lot of time to myself that summer, since hubbie and friends were far away. My grandma taught me how to cast on, knit, and purl and helped me make hubbie a sweater that took three months of constant knitting.

After that sweater (hearafter refered to as the monkey sweater, since the arms nearly reached the floor), hubbie and I got married and moved to California. Since then, I've been knitting more exciting and challenging work and have had to learn a lot through online videos and books. I'm still learning new things.

For example, I just learned this week that I've been doing SSK all wrong. I didn't realize the difference between SSK (slip, slip, knit) and K2togTBL (Knit 2 together through back loop). They're similar, but now I finally see a slight difference.

Take into evidence exhibit A and exhibit B. I knit A earlier this year and just finished B today. Look closely at the bottom stitch in the vertical rows (hint: Exhibit B has a better, straighter bottom line). This stitch was K2togTBL on exhibit A and SSK on exhibit B. Does anyone else notice a difference? It's a little more visible in person, but here is proof that even knitters who have been at it for a few years still learn new tricks.

Exhibit A:
Exhibit B:

No comments: