Monday, August 01, 2005

Eat local, darn it!

So I just heard of this Eat Local Challenge. I've been trying to do this lately, and what better inspiration than a challenge that accomplishes what I'm trying to do! I'm lucky I live in Southern California, but I have noticed how much stuff isn't from here that I eat. I've also been reading a lot lately about how organic isn't as good for the environment as locally grown food. I've been trying to buy a lot at the market, but now I'm going to step it up a notch.

My goal: to have at least 75% of the foods I prepare myself be locally grown (in Southern California).

My exceptions: food I don't prepare (I eat for free a lot and can't be too picky), as well as food I can't find substitutes for (like some gluten free food).

Wish me luck!

No comments: